Dr Steven Condliffe
Department of Physiology
Otago School of Medical Sciences
University of Otago
PO Box 913
Fax: +64 3 479 7323
Member of Membrane & Ion Transport.
My research focuses on the regulation of ion channel function via protein-protein interactions. Recently, we have characterised a role for leucine rich repeat kinase 2 (LRRK2) in regulating the function of voltage-gated calcium channels. I am also interested in the mechanisms behind the delivery and insertion of epithelial channels into the apical membrane.
Keywords: voltage-gated Ca2+ channels, SNAREs, LRRK2, ENaC, CFTR, ANO1
- Cellular mechanisms controlling membrane delivery of ANO1 channels.
- Functional interaction of LRRK2 with calcium channel beta subunits.
- Role of p11 in the membrane delivery of the epithelial sodium channel.
- Patch clamp electrophysiology
- Cellular and molecular biology
- 2015 University of Otago Research Grant
- 2012 Deans Bequest Fund
- 2011 University of Otago Research Grant
- Dr Giovanni Piccoli, (CIBIO, University of Trento, Italy)
Previous lab personnel
- Rachel Moir (Assistant Research Fellow)
- Sibi Narayanan (PGDipSci student)
- Martin Park (BSc(Hons) student) – currently MSc student in Physiology, University of Otago
- Kate Sears (Assistant Research Fellow)
- Celine Duynstee (Assistant Research Fellow)
- Cade Bedford (BBiomedSci(Hons) student)
- Nehan Munasinghe (MSc student) – currently PhD student at University of Sydney, Australia
- Peter Reid (Research Assistant)
- Bedford, C., Sears, C., Perez-Carrion, M., Piccoli, G. and Condliffe, S.B. (2016). LRRK2 regulates voltage-gated calcium channel function. Front. Mol. Neurosci. 9:35 doi: 10.3389/fnmol.2016.00035.
- Condliffe, S.B., Fratangeli, A., Munasinghe, N.R., Saba, E., Passafaro, M., Montrasio, C., Ferrari, M., Rosa, P. and Carrera, P. (2013). The E1015K variant in the synprint region of the CaV2.1 channel alters channel function and is associated with different migraine phenotypes. J. Biol. Chem. 288(47): 33873-33883.
- Assunta, S., Colleoni, S., Verderio, C., Restelli,E., Morini,R., Condliffe,S.B., Bertani, I.,Mantovani, S., Canovi, M., Micotti, E., Forloni, G., Dolphin, A.C., Matteoli, M., Gobbi, M. and Chiesa, R. (2012). Mutant prion protein suppresses glutamatergic neurotransmission in Cerebellar Granule Neurons by impairing membrane delivery of voltage-gated calcium channel 2-1 subunit. Neuron 74(2): 300-313.
- Condliffe, S.B. and Matteoli, M. (2011) Inactivation kinetics of voltage-gated calcium channels in glutamatergic neurons are influenced by SNAP-25. Channels (Austin). 5(4). 304-307. (IF=2.1, Cites=7)
- Piccoli, G., Condliffe, S.B., Bauer, M., Giesert, F., Boldt, K., De Astis, S., Meixner, A., Sarioglu,H., Vogt-Weisenhorn, D.M., Wurst, W., Gloeckne, C.J., Matteoli, M. Sala, C. and Ueffing, M. (2011). LRRK2 controls synaptic vesicle storage and mobilization within the recycling pool. J. Neurosci. 31(6):2225?2237.
- HUBS192 - Human Body Systems II
- PHSL233 - Cellular, Gastrointestinal and Renal Physiology
- PHSL251 - Physiology for Health Sciences
- PHSL343 - Cellular and Epithelial Physiology
- PHSL473 - Cellular Physiology
I really see no harm which can come of giving our children a little knowledge of physiology.