Associate Professor Rajesh Katare
Department of Physiology
Otago School of Medical Sciences
University of Otago
PO Box 913
Fax: +64 3 479 7323
Member of Cardiovascular & Respiratory Physiology.
- Molecular mechanisms involved in the development of cardiovascular complications in diabetes.
- Role of microRNAs in cardiovascular diseases.
- Development of novel genetic and stem cell therapies for the treatment of ischemic and non-ischemic cardiovascular complications.
microRNA; gene therapy; stem cells; chronic heart failure; Diabetes Mellitus; cardiomyopathy; tissue engineering.
- Pathological role of microRNAs in the development of diabetic cardiomyopathy.
- Circulating microRNAs as potential biomarkers for early diagnosis of cardiovascular complications.
- Gender differences in diabetic heart - why females are more prone to complications.
- Investigating the role of suicidal autophagy in diabetic hearts.
- Treatment of ischemic hearts with resident cardiac stem cells.
- Development of engineered heart tissue using cardiac and mesenchymal stem cells.
- Lottery Health Board project grant (2013-2015)
- New Zealand Society for the Study of Diabetes project (Sanofi) grant (2013-2015)
- Maurice & Phyllis Paykel Trust grant-in-aid (2013-2014)
- University of Otago research grant (2013-2014)
- Otago School of Medical Sciences Dean’s Bequest grant (2013-2014)
- Heart Foundation New Zealand small project grant (2012-2013)
- Otago Medical Research Foundation project grant (2012-2013)
- British Heart Foundation project grant (2010-2012)
- Diabetes UK project grant (2007-2010)
- Ministry of Science and Education, Japan (2004-2007)
- Industrial grant with Mitsubishi Pharmaceuticals, Japan (2002-2004)
- Associate Professor Patrick Manning, Department of Medicine, University of Otago
- Professor Vicky Cameron, Christchurch Heart Institute, University of Otago
- Dr Andrew Bahn, Department of Physiology, University of Otago
- Professor Paolo Madeddu, Bristol Heart Institute, University of Bristol, United Kingdom
- Professor Costanza Emanueli, Bristol Heart Institute, University of Bristol, United Kingdom
- Professor Saadeh Suleiman, Department of Cardiovascular Physiology, University of Bristol, United Kingdom
- Dr Antonio Beltrami, Department of Pathology, University of Udine, Italy
- Dr Daniela Cesselli, Department of Pathology, University of Udine, Italy
- Professor Sato Takayuki, Department of Physiology, Kochi University, Japan
- Dr Kakinuma Yoshihiko, Department of Physiology, Kochi University, Japan
- Professor Ando Motonori, Laboratory of Cell Physiology, Department of Science Education, Okayama University, Japan
- Katare R, Riu F, Rowlinson J, Lewis A, Holden R, Meloni M, Reni C, Wallrapp C, Emanueli C, Madeddu P. Perivascular Delivery of Encapsulated Mesenchymal Stem Cells Improves Postischemic Angiogenesis Via Paracrine Activation of VEGF-A. Arteriosclerosis Thrombosis and Vascular Biology, 2013;33(8):1872-1880.
- Katare RG, Madeddu P. Pericytes from human veins for treatment of myocardial ischemia. Trends in Cardiovascular Medicine, 2013;23(3):66-70.
- Mangialardi G, Katare R, Oikawa A, Meloni M, Reni C, Emanueli C, Madeddu P. Diabetes causes bone marrow endothelial barrier dysfunction by activation of the RhoA-Rho-associated kinase signaling pathway. Arteriosclerosis Thrombosis and Vascular Biology, 2013;33(3):555-564.
- Katare R, Oikawa A, Cesselli D, Beltrami AP, Avolio E, Muthukrishnan D, Munasinghe PE, Angelini G, Emanueli C, Madeddu P. Boosting the pentose phosphate pathway restores cardiac progenitor cell availability in diabetes. Cardiovascular Research, 2013;97(1):55-65.
- Amadesi S, Reni C, Katare R, Meloni M, Oikawa A, Beltrami AP, Avolio E, Cesselli D, Fortunato O, Spinetti G, Ascione R, Cangiano E, Valgimigli M, Hunt SP, Emanueli C, Madeddu P. Role for substance p-based nociceptive signaling in progenitor cell activation and angiogenesis during ischemia in mice and in human subjects. Circulation, 2012;125(14):1774-1786.
- Katare R, Riu F, Mitchell K, Gubernator M, Campagnolo P, Cui Y, Fortunato O, Avolio E, Cesselli D, Beltrami AP, Angelini G, Emanueli C, Madeddu P. Transplantation of human pericyte progenitor cells improves the repair of infarcted heart through activation of an angiogenic program involving micro-RNA-132. Circulation Research, 2011;109(8): 894-906.
- Katare R, Caporali A, Zentilin L, Avolio E, Sala-Newby G, Oikawa A, Cesselli D, Beltrami AP, Giacca M, Emanueli C, Madeddu P. Intravenous gene therapy with PIM-1 via a cardiotropic viral vector halts the progression of diabetic cardiomyopathy through promotion of prosurvival signaling. Circ Res. 2011 May 13;108(10):1238-1251.
- Katare R, Caporali A, Emanueli C, Madeddu P. Benfotiamine improves functional recovery of the infarcted heart via activation of pro-survival G6PD/Akt signaling pathway and modulation of neurohormonal response. Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, 2010; 49(4):625-638.
- Katare R, Ando M, Kakinuma Y, Arikawa M, Yamasaki F, Sato T. Differential Regulation of TNF Receptors by Vagal Nerve Stimulation Protect Heart against Acute Ischemic Injury Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, 2010; 49(2):234-244.
- Campagnolo P, Cesselli D, Zen AA, Beltrami AP, Kränkel N, Katare R, Angelini GD, Emanueli C, and Madeddu P. The human adult vena saphena contains perivascular progenitor cells endowed with clonogenic and pro-angiogenic potential. Circulation, 2010, 121(15):1735-45.
- Katare R, Ando M, Kakinuma Y, Sato T. Engineered heart tissue: a novel tool to study the ischemic changes of the heart in vitro. PLoS One. 2010 Feb 17;5(2):e9275.
- Katare R, Caporali A, Oikawa A, Meloni M, Emanueli C, Madeddu P. Vitamin B1 Analogue Benfotiamine Prevents Diabetes-Induced Diastolic Dysfunction and Heart Failure through Akt/Pim-1 Mediated Survival Pathway. Circulation:Heart Failure, 2010, 294-305.
- Siragusa M,Katare R, Meloni M, Hirsch E, Emanueli C, Madeddu P. Genetic and Pharmacological Targeting of Phosphoinositide 3-Kinaseg Impairs Angiogenesis and Healing of Experimental Myocardial Infarction in Mice. Circulation Research, 2010 Mar 5;106(4):757-68.
- Handa T, Katare R, Sasaguri S, Sato T. Preliminary experience for the evaluation of the intraoperative graft patency with real color charge-coupled device camera system: an advanced device for simultaneous capturing of color and near-infrared images during coronary artery bypass graft. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2009 Aug;9(2):150-154.
- Katare R, Kakinuma Y, Ando M, Arikawa M, Yamasaki F, Sato T. Chronic Intermittent Fasting Improves the Survival Following Large Myocardial Ischemia by Activation of BDNF/VEGF/PI3K Signaling Pathway. Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, 2009; 46:405-412.
- Katare RG, Sasaguri S, Suzuki R, Maeda H. Ischemic Preconditioning Prevents Reperfusion Heart Injury in Cardiac Hypertrophy by Activation of Mitochondrial KATP Channels. International Journal of Cardiology. 96(1): 41-49. 2004.
- Katare RG, Sasaguri S, Zhitian Z, Suzuki R, Asakai R, and Maeda H. Second window of ischemic preconditioning regulates mitochondrial permeability transition pore by enhancing Bcl-2 expression, Cardiovascular Research, 59(2): 297-307, August 1, 2003.
I really see no harm which can come of giving our children a little knowledge of physiology.